Under the Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects (UN 2001 PoA), governments are encouraged to promote safe and effective stockpile management and security, in particular through physical security measures, for small arms and light weapons, and are called on to destroy all confiscated, seized or collected small arms and light weapons.
UNLIREC supports States in the implementation of the UN 2001 PoA through:
- undertaking technical assessments on stockpile management and safety and destruction capacities.
- providing guidance on the technical development of internationally-based standards to enhance stockpile management practices, guide the refurbishment of national storage sites and carry out destructions.
- delivering technical capacity-building assistance.
- donating equipment to undertake independent destructions.
- supporting the destruction of surplus, obsolete and confiscated small arms, ammunition and explosives.